Thursday, November 8, 2007

November 8th 2007 Tykocin

TykocinStefan Łodzia de Czarnca Czarniecki
1599-1665
A Street We Drove On Tonight
Tykocin Church

I woke up to a very cold blustery day complete with rain. Last nights lecture was very well attended. In addition to my usual students from the Academy and the University of Bialystok, there were many others in attendance. I was very pleased. After the lecture and screening I was approached by the English department at the University of Bialystok to present a lecture on American Drama at the University. In addition another English Language school also requested that I present a lecture for them as well. I am pleased to report that theatre in Bialystok is doing very well. We decided to attend two different performances but were turned away due to the crowds attending these performances. What a wonderful occurrence for these talented theatre artists. This evening I accompanied Pawel and Dasia on a drive to a smaller village and to the city of Tykocin. They related to me that this particular city has been used as a backdrop for many Polish films due to the historical nature of the city and its architectural integrity. Bialystok and its environs are approximately 10 degrees higher in latitude then Buffalo, NY and as a result the natural lighting is of a more contrasting nature and also nightfall arrives faster than at home. As a result of this night had already fallen before we reached Tykocin and I was unable to capture this city on film. These images are from the early 20th century but the city is essentially unchanged and it was as if I had walked in these photographs tonight. Tomorrow I will attend Marionette class and receive more training in Marionette manipulation. What a wonderful way to spend the day!

Please see this wonderful site for more historic Polish Images

Historic Polish Images

No comments: