Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Sunday October 14th, 2007

Fountain In The City Square
Pope John Paul Celebration

I awoke to another splendid day of the Polish autumn season. The sunlight streamed through the window pane and I woke to another new day. Yesterday, while walking with Dasia we noticed a stage being erected in the city square. Ul. Sienkiewicza is a broad boulevard and I walked down my street exchanging greetings with passersby. I walked to the city square and found a celebration of Pope John Paul in progress. There was a concert stage set up with images of the Pope and I found a French fry vendor and sat in the sunshine enjoying the singing. Young and old alike celebrated the Pope and his work. This outpouring of faith and support only strengthened my belief in what a truly great man he was. Through Dr. Kazimierz Braun, my mentor I experienced the way of teaching espoused by Pope John Paul, but to be here in Poland and to feel the love and devotion to this man is impossible to describe. If you can remember the youth meetings on television of Pope John Paul you can get the sense of what I felt today in the city square of Bialystok. I find it interesting that through my Ph.D. program mentor, Dr. Braun, and his Mentor, Pope John Paul, that I have finally been able to set aside my differences of opinion with the church. I also must thank the Pauline Fathers that took over Corpus Christy Church in Buffalo, NY and Mr. Robert Fronckowiak for his invitations to church. I guess that sometimes you have to take the long road to cross the street. Tomorrow is my meeting with the Dean to discuss my curriculum.

No comments: