Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Friday October 11th 2007

I awoke to the sun streaming into my apartment and I awoke thinking that this was a bad dream and that I was in Tonawanda. I rubbed my eyes and I was in Poland. Still exhausted I spent most of the day sleeping and questioning the wisdom of my accepting this scholarship. I knew that this was the voice of jetlag speaking so I rolled over and slept away most of this day. I woke and realized that I had not eaten and I showered, dressed, and made the journey down Ul. Sienkiewicza to where I knew pancakes could be found. The waitress handed me the menu and this menu was different from the night before, if had English translations. I was a sucker for the Apple Blintzes and ordered them with gallons of hot tea. I needed to sooth my throat. The lemon and Polish Honey did the trick. I walked back down Ul. Sienkiewicza to the Academy and met with Anna Gulinska, the international secretary, and also Dean Wieslaw Czolpinski. They were so very glad to have me select the Academy for my Fulbright project and were happy I had arrived safely in Bialystok. Anna fitfully apologized for missing my arrival in Warsaw. and I was invited to the premier of The Inkwizytor an adaptation of a portion of The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky at the Bialystok Teatr Lalek, which is managed by my friend Dr. Marek Waszkiel. My meeting concluded and I went to the library and passed a little bit of time online and returned to sleep. As I drifted off to sleep I was happy at the prospect of seeing Marek as it has been almost five years since we had last spent time together. I was also very excited about the opportunity so see a premier production. As Phillip Marlowe would say “a pool of blackness appeared at my feet and I dove into sleep.”

No comments: