Monday, October 22, 2007

October 21, 2007


Returning To Bialystok

After touring Szczuczyn and the Osowiec Bunkers we returned to Bialystok to meet Pawel’s parents and to have dinner with them. It was a lovely visit and Pawel’s mother prepared a dinner of pork cutlets prepared like schnitzel and topped with mushrooms and smoked mozzarella, potatoes, rolled pork cutlets stuffed with pickled vegetables, and vegetables. This was accompanied by numerous rounds of homemade nayleska, which is a homemade vodka based liquor made with fruits grown in the family garden. That night I tried ones made with red currants, black currants, honey, and even one made with walnuts. After enjoying many rounds of these potions, Pawel poured me, smiling all the way, into the car and brought me safely back to my apartment at the Academy. I slept peacefully and happily through the night.

No comments: